The pedalling photographer

Pictures on the move

Brittany by Bike (continued)


Pleven – Taden – St Malo – Poole

The road out of Pleven almost immediately took a steep descent, which is always a good start but, as all cyclists know, a flying descent is frequently followed by a demanding – and, in this case, zigzag – ascent!

The threatening black clouds that we awoke to seemed to follow us all day and we were constantly putting on/taking off our wet weather gear. However, we couldn’t grumble, as it was only the second time on this cycle trip that we’d had to don our waterproofs while cycling.

Our plan was to head for a campsite slightly north of Dinan, at a place called La Hisse (as in hissy fit!!). As normal, we were following the very quiet back roads, but the downside of this is that it does require looking at the map more frequently. However, this is far outweighed by the plus side in that these tiny roads can often be little gems and take you through places that you’d never normally visit.  Unfortunately, one had a slight lapse of concentration and missed a vital right turn! By the time I’d realized my mistake, we’d gone too far to turn back and it made more sense to continue on our present course, which in effect took us further down the map than we had planned. The last couple of miles found us on a busy road which took us into the centre of Dinan.

We decided to revise our plans and headed for the campsite we’d used at the start of our trip. As we pulled up outside the campsite reception, we were hailed by a familiar voice and, lo and behold, up pops Pete from Chester!! What a welcome surprise and such a strange coincidence! Pete also had decided to revise his plans as, after a couple of nights on noisy campsites on the coast, he’d decided to head inland and ended up at the Taden campsite the day before we arrived. This called for a celebratory evening out and, as the campsite watering hole was closed, we walked into Taden village for a few drinks at the Bar Tabac. The bar was frequented by a friendly crowd made up of local Bretons and some British expats. The good-natured patron played an eclectic mix of music, from Breton folk music through to the Beatles and it was good to listen to some familiar old tunes. Chris decided to finish the evening off with a small brandy, only to discover it was cheaper than the local Breton cider she’d been drinking – if only she’d known that earlier!

The following morning, Pete headed for St Malo, as his ferry home was a day earlier than ours. We spent the day ‘housekeeping’ – Chris washing the clothes and me cleaning the bikes – and generally taking it easy. That evening we treated ourselves to a meal at the Cochon Grille, the campsite restaurant. While there, we received a text from Pete to say that he’d changed his ferry ticket and was going home a day early due to the bad weather. This planted a seed in our minds that we might also do the same.

We discussed our route back to St Malo and decided in the end to follow the Voie Verte V3 to Dinard and then take the sea bus, a route that had been recommended to us by several touring cyclists. The route was shorter than we anticipated and we were soon at Dinard port searching for the Bus de Mer terminal. Fortunately, we were just in time for the next ferry and soon had our bikes and panniers loaded on the boat, which turned out to be a much easier task than we had expected.

We were soon in St Malo and made our way to the ferry office to enquire about changing our tickets. Due to the deteriorating weather conditions, we decided that it would be a good idea to head back home a day earlier and, for a small fee, we were able to change our tickets. The ferry left at 8 the following morning, which required a very early start to give us time to pack up the gear and cycle down to the port.

Once on the ferry, the captain announced that the following day’s sailings had been cancelled due to the very stormy conditions that were forecast. What a stroke of luck that we’d decided to change our tickets, as we would have been left stranded in St Malo, possibly for a couple of days, in awful weather conditions!

Once back in the UK, we set off on our cycle home. The wind was very strong and gusty, which made cycling quite dangerous. We battled on, but after coming across a cyclist who had just been blown off her bike into a parked van, we decided to be sensible and asked a family member to pick us up.

This was the end of our mini adventure, but there will be more to follow…

Author: Mike McEnnerney Photographer

I've had a passion for photography for as long as I can remember and have been running my own photographic business for many years. This also carries over into my personal interests: I love the great outdoors and enjoy nothing better than to be outside taking photos and combining this with my hobbies of cycle touring, camping, backpacking, canoeing and just being out in the wilds, or as the Australians say "beyond the black stump" farther into the outback than the city lights.

2 thoughts on “Brittany by Bike (continued)

  1. I have throughly enjoyed reading your blog, I look forward to your next journey, possibly 2013?

  2. Hi Cath, I’m glad you have enjoyed the blog, we’re hoping we can get a small trip in before 2013?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s